Nethy Bridge - Local Activities and Attractions
Nethy Bridge - Local Area
The Village of Nethy Bridge is surrounded by the natural beauty of the Cairngorm National Park from the river Nethy running through it, a mile before reaching the River Spey(famous Scottish salmon river), to the Abernethy Forest (ancient Caledonian pine forest and RSPB reserve) and the Cairngorm mountains. As well as the scenery, the wildlife and the peace and quiet, An Teallach is very central to be able to enjoy the wide range of activities and attractions the area has to offer.
The village centre has tennis courts,play park, playing fields, woodland/riverside walks/biking, golf and lots of local events including the highland games - visit nethybridge.com for more information. A regular bus service operates between Nethy Bridge and Aviemore (eleven miles) and Grantown-on-Spey (five miles).
- Walking/Biking – Within minutes of An Teallach you can be on the Speyside Way, the walk/cycle path which leads from Granton on Spey to Aviemore passing through Nethy Bridge. or plan out other scenic highland routes to walk. bikes can also be hired from Bothy Bikes or Rothiemurcus
- Bird Watching – RSPB Reserve at Loch Garten is only 2.5 miles away where you can see the ospreys nesting site. There are also a large range of other birds that can be spotted within the woodland, on the loch’s and even in the garden at An Teallach.
- Golf - There are several courses nearby to enjoy :
- Nethy Bridge’s own 9 hole club – Abernethy Golf Club
- Grantown-on-Spey golf course
- Carrbridge golf course
- Boat of Garten golf course
- Aviemore - The championship Spey Valley course
- Ski-ing - From Nethy Bridge both the Cairngorms or the Lecht are within easy reach (30/35 minute drive away) Tickets/Passes and equipment hire are available on the websites or check out Aviemore Ski Hire.
- Fishing – Rothiemurcus offers fishing on the Spey River, famous for its Salmon fishing or loch fishing
- Adventure Sports – There are several centres offering a wide range of water sports and adventurous outdoor activities:
- Rothiemurcus – 4x4 off road driving, Archery, Mountain Biking, Pony trekking/Hacking, Quad biking, Segway, Tennis,walking safari’s, wildlife watching/photography, canoeing, fishing, gorge walking/swimming, rafting, river tubing/kayaking, clay shooting and Treezone
- Highland Activities – white water rafting, white water funyakking, rafting, canyoning, gorge walking, canoeing, kayaking, climbing, abseiling, mountain biking.
- Craggan Outdoors – Archery, bushcraft,clay pigeon shooting, climbing, abseiling, disc golf, fishing, foot golf, golf, gorge walking, high ropes, kayaking, laser tag, mini quads, mountain biking, paintball, pony trekking, raft building, canoeing, white water rafting, zip wire.
- Zip Park / G2 Outdoor – Zip wire, canyoning, white water rafting, gorge walking, ski mountaineering.
- Strathspey Steam Railway (1.5 miles outside Nethy Bridge) – Take a trip on the steam train through the scenic countryside from Broomhill (the station used as Glenbogle in the TV series “Monarch of the Glen) to Aveimore.
- Funicular Railway – Take the cable car tram on a steep ascent to the top of CairnGorm all year round and experience the most fantastic views of the Cairngorms and Strathspey.
- Landmark Forest Adventure Park – Enjoy a family day out at the Adventure park just 10 Miles away at Carrbridge. Lots to do from nature and Timber Trails to water slides, sky dives and runaway trains!
- Highland Wildlife Park, Kingussie – Spend the day visiting The Polar bears, Artic foxes, Amur Tigars and snow leopard among the many others animals and birds.
- Malt Whisky Trail – Follow the Malt Whisky to visit some of our famous Scotch Whisky Distilleries and even try a sample..
- Speyside Heather Centre – Enjoy the Garden centre, gift shop and restaurant with a real Scottish feel.
This is only a sample of what the area has to offer close by - Nethy Bridge is central to visiting many more historic sites, attractions and scenery all round Scotland.